Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Training wheels are coming off!

"When everything says you can't, believe in the part of you that says you can."
 
Sunday was an extremely spiritual day for me. Yes, it was the Sabbath, which is always spiritual, but there was a wonderful dose of Firesides, talks from Apostles, and scripture study that added to it immensely. The quote above came from the Fireside. It's always important to remember that whenever you doubt your abilities that you can achieve much more than you ever thought if you have faith.
 
We listened to a talk by Elder Holland. He shared that the main reason we don't see miracles in our lives is because we're not willing to take the extra steps necessary to go off the edge. "You won't ever fly if you don't jump off the edge. Water doesn't boil at 210 degrees. Even though 210 is very hot, it takes those two extra degrees to make magic happen." The same is true with our lives. If we want to see miracles or blessings, we must be willing to put in that extra ounce of work even though we don't think we can do anymore. That's the principle of faith. Stepping out one step farther than what is normally expected. I hope I'm able to do that as I travel to the mission field.
 
Mission field? Hmm, I guess I should mention that. Today is my last day at the MTC. Tomorrow morning at 6:00am I will be on a bus with the 12 other missionaries who are heading to the Utah Salt Lake City South Mission. We will meet with the Mission President, meet our new companions, and then be out into the work. I am so excited to get going! Even though I've grown immensely over the past three weeks, I'm ready to share that growth with others. That's the whole reason I came out here. It's going to be scary at first - talking to strangers, sharing my knowledge of truth, and working harder than I ever had before. Nonetheless, I'm much more excited for this than I was to get into the MTC.
 
"Shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on to the victory!" D&C 128: 22
 
I'm ready to press onward. I'm ready to get to work. I'm sure once I get out there I will have trials and struggles, but as the verse above says, shall we not go on in so great a cause?
 
PS: I wanted to take a second to thank everyone who has sent me letters, Dear Elders, packages, or notes. They're a very welcome addition to my mission. It's nice to see little thoughts from home. Starting today, please use my mission home address.
 
Elder Kevin M. Bolling
Utah Salt Lake City South Mission
8060 S. 615 E.
Sandy, Utah
84070
 
As soon as I get the address for my residence in my first transfer, I will also post in on here. Thanks for the well wishes!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment