Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How To Be the Luckiest Guy on the Planet?

What is it that makes us "lucky"? According to Dictionary.com, luck is "the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities." But is this force controllable? If so, how can we control it?

To be sure, there are many things in life that are outside of our control. We can't control the weather. Many times we can't control accidents or illnesses in our lives. We also can't control the actions of others. But we control almost everything else, and by controlling those "forces" in a positive direction, we can put fertile soil at our feet that will cultivate that luck.

Entrepreneur and investor James Altucher blogged recently about the steps he takes to become lucky. He points out that, "Each time there were four things, and only four things, that were always in place in order for me to bounce back." These things? Four areas of daily practice: Physical practice, emotional practice, mental practice, and spiritual practice. Follow this link to read more about it.

I've thought a lot about those four areas...and it makes sense. They're areas that everyone can implement in their own lives. Success, or "luck", as he puts it, is dependent on doing the small and simple daily tasks that we sometimes tend to overlook. If we keep plugging away, honestly striving to become better at the basics of life, we will look into the mirror years from now and barely recognize the person we've become. I look forward to that moment in my own life.

I try to do things similar to James' four areas. His four areas are worth considering. I don't always do those simple things I set for myself everyday. Nobody's perfect. But I have found that when I do them, things just seem to work out for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment