Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Don't Call It A Bucket List...

Look up the signs of ADHD. I just did. I qualified for 12 of the 17 signs. Let's be honest...this comes as no surprise to me. I was reading a blog today that had the following quote: "We are all crazy. Every person you read about had some kind of 'disorder', they just knew how to use it."

I don't know who said it, but I love that quote. I believe that quote. How do I try to 'use' my 'disorder'? Lists. I love lists. I've used them all the way through school and work. At some points in my life I'm better at using them than others, but lists save my life.

Why? My mind moves fast. Most times, it moves too fast. I constantly find myself in a conversation, taking a short detour to tell a story, then forgetting the point I was trying to make. I can't sit at a desk for 8 hours and do work. I go talk to others in different offices, I walk around, I surf the web. Sometimes, even, I write in a blog! If I think or say something, the chances of me remembering it 10 minutes later aren't favorable. It's why I love lists. Sometimes, I think a thought, think to write it down, then something else grabs my attention before I write it down. Poof! It's gone. Oops.

I've easily seen that when I start my day with a list of things I want to accomplish, sometimes adding to it throughout the day, I get a lot more accomplished. I'm trying to extend that to longer-term goals. I am currently compiling a list of 25 things I want to do before I leave for my mission. While on my mission, I plan to think of goals for the rest of my life and compile them in a journal. I don't know how this all will turn out, but it certainly can't hurt!

For someone like myself, lists have the ability to focus, energize, and drive me towards the goal I've always had but sometimes forget. That's easily seen in the day-to-day grind of life. Let's see how it translates to the longer-term. I encourage others to try the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment